Saturday, October 8, 2011

Day 7: Arrival in Bologna

Even though I had a great time in France and Paris is an amazing city, my heart belongs to Italy. Hearing Italian on the flight, the taxi ride through Bologna, I just felt giddy. I can’t really explain it, other than pure love.

By the time Heather and I checked into the hotel, it was around 1pm and we needed to find something to eat on a slow, lazy and warm Sunday in Bologna. We headed to the main square, Piazza Maggiore and found a café in the shade. Beer, wine, and a sandwich on fresh ciabatta were the orders of the day.



The piazza slowly started waking up and by 2:30, there was a pleasant bustle of locals. And, in typical Italian form, out of nowhere, a retired military band struck up a whole set of patriotic songs:



Feeling like I was exactly where I wanted to be, I wrote some postcards and realized that the next two weeks are going to be exactly like this -- full of piazzas, vino, and la dolce vita. My ideal vacation has finally arrived!

Feeling rested, but not too eager to do any serious sightseeing, we decided to jump on the hop-on-hop off bus. It was the perfect activity for our first day in town. While inquiring about the schedule at the tourist office, I learned that we are here just in time for the Emilia Romagna Food and Wine Festival. Best. Luck. Ever. Thank you, Comune di Bologna for planning this event to coincide with my arrival! After dinner, we headed back to Piazza Maggiore for the concert:

Piazza Maggiore


No comments:

Post a Comment